Are you looking for the perfect pot to show off your cactus plants?
Whether you are a seasoned green thumb or just getting started with your first succulent, planting cactus in the ideal container is an important decision.
Selecting the right type of pot for your plant can make all the difference in terms of growth and health.
From terra-cotta clay to plastic pots, there are several materials available on the market today that can provide a beautiful and functional home for your collection of cacti.
Read on to learn more about choosing the best pot for cacti as well as the mistakes to avoid.
Best Pots for Cactus Plants
1. Fiberglass cactus containers
Fiberglass is a new and modern pot material. To make such a material, manufacturers spun glass into the fiber. After that, they mix it with a resin, creating a solid and flexible composite.
Afterward, they put the resin and fiberglass mixture into a mold. They do so to create various sizes and shapes.
So, if you’d like a fiberglass pot for your cactus plants, pick the Fox & Fern Plant Pot. This cacti pot is a fabulous upgrade to a ceramic pot or plastic container. That’s because it lasts longer and looks better than plastic planters.
Moreover, it weighs less compared to ceramic pots. Also, it has a drip tray for maximizing the pot’s clean and simple lines. The drip also nests seamlessly within the pot.
Other than cacti, fiberglass material is also one of the best containers for venus fly trap.
- Durability. Fiberglass containers are extra strong and flexible. Moreover, you can use these small cactus pots indoors or outdoors. In short, these cactus plant pots can take a heavy beating.
- Quality. High-standard manufacturers make fiberglass pots of superior quality. Therefore, these deep pots come out strong and with fabulous finishes. Also, fiberglass pots are lightweight, making them ideal for large containers.
- Plant health. Gardeners know fiberglass materials for their plant-protection qualities. That’s so since they offer cacti plants UV protection during hot climates. And since they aren’t porous materials, they’re ideal for waterproofing. Fiberglass also doesn’t leech soils, preventing root rot.
- Cost. Producing fiberglass pots is cheaper compared to metal and wood planters.
- Manufacturer dependent. The qualities of these fiberglass pots vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. To make matters worse, some manufacturers try to cut corners. So, chances are, you may get a low-quality fiberglass pot. Just be extra careful when choosing a pot for your cacti or succulents.
Recommended fiberglass pot
- ✅ THE IDEAL POT FOR YOUR PLANTS – Each 10 inch plant pot is perfect for storing your indoor and outdoor large-sized plants. The outer diameter measures 10 inches and the height is 9.5 inches, making it a great choice for your greenery.
- ✅ HAND-MADE FROM LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURABLE MATERIALS – Our white pots for indoor plants are made from fiberstone, making them 70% lighter than ceramic or concrete. The material is also frost and UV resistant, making it suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- ✅ INNOVATIVE DRAINAGE DESIGN – The 10 inch planters come with a removable plug and a convenient drainage hole, allowing excess water to flow out and keeping your plants hydrated and well fed.
- ✅ MODERN AND ELEGANT DESIGN – The white planters for indoor plants add a clean and modern look to your home or office, making your favorite plant a work of art and a talking piece. The 10 inch pots for plants indoor are well-crafted and sturdy, with a simple and beautiful design.
- ✅ LIFETIME WARRANTY – Our white plant pots come with a hassle-free lifetime warranty, ensuring you can add some fresh green and good vibes to your home with peace of mind. If the indoor and outdoor planter breaks for any reason, you will receive a free replacement without any questions asked.
2. Concrete cactus plant pot
Producing concrete for multi-use entails mixing cement (paste) with the following:
In industrial production, the following chemicals help harden and bind the concrete mixture:
So, if you like concrete pots, pick the Kante 11.6-inch Dia Round concrete pot. I love its simplistic design and the size variances too. Together, these concrete cacti pots make a beautiful little shade garden.
Moreover, they’re more lightweight than they look. But they don’t look cheap either. Apart from cactus, these concrete pots are ideal for Faux ficus pop.
- Color. Concrete pot materials are aesthetically neutral within busy color schemes. That’s possible since they’ve got a natural light-gray color.
- Weight. Concrete material is quite hardy and heavy. That makes it ideal as an outdoor pot for cacti and succulent plants.
- Sizes and shapes. Concrete containers come in different sizes/shapes due to the molding process.
- Environment. Producing concrete along a supply chain is terrible for the environment. For example, cement manufacturing has lots of carbon dioxide. Such excess CO2 contributes heavily to global warming.
- Fragile. Concrete is brittle even though it’s solid. Sometimes, several hard knocks may leave you ordering replacements.
- Plant health. Concrete has lime that can leech your potting soil, affecting your cactus roots.
Recommended concrete pot
- ELEGANT PLANTER WITH SOFT CURVES & VISIBLE PORES: Create a modern space using this long and high planter with soft rounded horizontal stripes along the rim, where the smooth lines and pure white finish are a hot trend in contemporary landscape designs
- IDEAL FOR SUCCULENT AND DELICATE PLANTS: The size is very generous and can hold a good amount of plants without looking crowded and great for plants that need room to grow
- HANDMADE AND ECO-FRIENDLY: This planter is handmade, crafted of lightweight concrete through a manufacturing process, has a drainage hole and a strong UV resistant ability that stays well in wind, rain, hot and cold season
- STRONG AND DURABLE: Made of concrete and weather-resistant fiberglass that have all the advantages of these materials, such as strength, durability, weather and damage resistance, and long-lasting color
- IDEAL SIZE FOR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE: The planter measures 11.6" Diameter x 13.3" Height and it makes a great addition to any apartment balcony or large backyard patio by standing out with its unique look
3. Plastic cacti pots
Plastic, a wonder material, entered the global stage around 1907. And since then, different makes of plastic containers have come up. Moreover, producers make plastic pots from crude oil, a non-renewable resource.
There are several plastic planter pots for cacti and succulent plants. But the Caribbean Plastic planter is the right pot for you! That’s when it comes to cacti pots made of plastic.
These Caribbean pots come in several sizes, and their design is fabulous. They’ve got a removable plug that acts as a drainage hole. This hole boosts water absorption and air circulation too.
No wonder plastic pots are still the best African violet flower pots money can ever buy.
You can use them for your Jungalow rattan planters:
- One on its outside with an intact plug.
- Another one on its inside with a loose plug for drainage.
- Cheap. In human history, plastic has been the most bulk-produced material. These plastics are cheap to produce and mold into different styles/shapes. Moreover, the standard cacti/succulent pot is made of plastic.
- Light. Plastic’s high strength-to-weight ratio has made it famous and well-known globally. Further, they’re thin, making their shipping straightforward. Also, you can drop these plastic pots, but they’ll still function.
- Environment. Toxins from these plastic pots can move within the food chain or leech into your groundwater. When the toxins do so, they harm our whole ecosystems.
- Plant health. Again, plastic materials release harmful organic chemicals that can affect cacti/succulents.
- Single-use. Plastic pots may only function for a single season before cracks render them useless.
Recommended plastic pot
- DURABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT - Made from polypropylene plastic, these plant pots are sturdy and lightweight. The rolled rim helps you to easily move the container, even when it is full of soil. It won't break or crack when lifting.
- DRAINAGE HOLE WITH REMOVABLE PLUG – Remove the plug for drainage or leave it in. The contoured base of these pots helps protect plants from excess watering.
- TRADITIONAL DESIGN - Trendy colors and a classic look allow this decorative pot to fit into any indoor & outdoor setting. These plastic plant pots are UV resistant and will not crack or color-fade over time.
- GREAT FOR A VARIETY OF PLANTS - These round planters come in several sizes and are great for indoor houseplants, as well as outdoor gardening on your patio, porch or deck. Use them to grow vegetables, flowers, herbs, snake plants and more.
- MADE IN THE USA - For over 35 years, The HC Companies has been manufacturing horitcultural containers. This pot was proudly manufacturer at our factory in Ohio.
4. Clay Pots/Terra Cotta
A terracotta or clay pot is made of clay. Moreover, often, these clay pots are unglazed. Most dealers sell them in reddish brown-earthy colors. At the same time, they’re widely available as planters/pots in varying sizes and shapes.
You can buy these clay pots at affordable prices, adding to their fantastic appeal.
A good pot of clay material is the Terracotta Pot with a saucer. This shallow pot hacks it for cacti plants struggling with root rot. Also, moving your cacti/succulents won’t be stressful with this pot.
This cactus pot helps dry out your soil faster, making your cactus or succulent plants look nice. Also, you’ll get stickers to stick at the pot’s bottom after purchase. The stickers help protect the saucers.
Again, they’ve got some elements that prevent your soil from falling when watering.
- Plant health. These clay pots are suitable for plants like cacti that need to be dry.
- Material. These clay pots help prevent root rot and allow the soil to dry faster. All that’s possible since they’ve got porous materials.
- Price. These terracotta pots are affordable.
- Appearance. The terracotta pots are classic and timeless.
- Unreliable. These pots are breakable.
- Cracks. They crack when you expose these terracotta pots to cold/freezing weather.
- Drying. The pots need extra watering. Otherwise, your cactus may dry out faster because of its porous material.
- Plant health. These terracotta pots burn your plant roots when under the sun.
Recommended clay pot
- ★ 【DIMENSIONS】 Perfect size pots where you can fit different plants such as herbs, succulents, small cactus, flowers and much more. Planters size: 5.5*5.5*4.7 inches(L*W*H), Trays size: 4.9*4.9*1 inches(L*W*H).
- ★ 【SAFE PACKAGED】 Baked at 1050℃ high temperature, each flower pot has excellent durability and crack resistance, lightweight and beautiful. All packages came well-packaged and passed the 3 foot drop test to ensure the basin remained intact during the delivery process.
- ★ 【PREMIUM QUALITY】 Made of Top-Quality clay, air and water can pass through walls more easily.It's great for Cactus, Succulents, and other plants that prefer drier soil.At the same time, it is also suitable for colder climates. The walls of the pots draw the water out of the soil to help the soil dry quicker.
- ★ 【DRAIN HOLE AND SAUCER】 Each ceramic pottery planter has a small drain hole at the bottom. Juicy, cactus, herbs or other plants thrive in well-drained clay pots and add porous soil to achieve ultimate plant comfort and growth.The Saucer works perfectly with flower pots and is the perfect option for protecting your floors and decking from water and dirt.
- ★ 【100% SATISFACTION】We provide full refunds and returns if there’s any problem after receiving the product.
5. Ceramic planters for cactus
A ceramic pot is made of clay, which is permanently hardened using heat. Moreover, these ceramic pots become porous when unglazed.
Further, the sides of these unglazed ceramic pots allow water and air movement. I recommend using ceramic pots if:
- You’ve got plants that need dry soil.
- Or if you’ve got a heavy hand in matters watering.
Elsewhere, glazed ceramic pots aren’t porous and never dry faster. That restricts air circulation from the pot’s sides. Also, these ceramic pot types are thick and heavy. Then again, they can be costly.
Even though these ceramic pots are heavy, they crack in cold/freezing weather. Further, these pots aren’t durable when you use them outdoors and when cold. But they protect cacti plants from rapid temperature changes outdoors.
For this ceramic material category, I recommend Large White Ceramic Pots. They’re nice and large, making them suitable for several home decor. Also, they’ll cost you less despite their high-quality material.
You can use the planter’s tiny pot for Rex Begonia and the large one for your greenery arrangement.
- Protection. These pots protect your cactus from temperature shifts.
- Weight. They can house heavy plants.
- Options. The cactus pots come in different styles and color options.
- Defects. These ceramic pots crack during cold/freezing temperatures.
Recommended ceramic pot
- CERAMIC WITH GOLD AND GREY DETAILING - This set of eccentric planters is a statement piece for all homes. Created with sturdy ceramic and painted beautifully with gold and grey, these planters are not only breathtaking to look at but amazingly functional as well.
- DIFFERENT SIZES AND SHAPE - Each set comes two different pieces but partly utilizes the same gold color so it harmonizes just perfectly. The larger, cylindrical shaped planter is ideal for taller plants and the smaller, asymmetrical piece is designed for your smaller plants.
- DIMENSION - Grey--10’’ D x 8.9’’H; Gold--8.1’’ D x 7.7’’H. Plants are not included.
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE - These planters are versatile and unique that could match your modern home décor inside and outside on the patio as well.
- 100% SATISFACTION - 24/7 customer service and full refund & return guaranteed if any problem upon receiving the product
6. Metal cactus planter pot
In the market, we’ve got several metal container types. But copper, zinc, and aluminum are the most common.
As outdoor planters, metal containers rust over time. For example, steel containers rust, becoming red in hue.
That rusting cycle happens faster because of outside elements like moisture or oxygen. Again, metal materials aren’t porous. So, drill some holes in the container’s bottom. That lets moisture leave the pot, creating adequate airflow.
If metallic cactus pots suit you, pick the Dexceder 9×8 Inches Self-Watering Planter. This planter pot is fantastic for medium-sized indoor plants like money plants. Further, the hidden reservoir’s indicator is easy-to-read.
Also, with this cactus planter pot, you’ll limit the danger of overflows. So you won’t experience water damage indoors.
- Strength. Metal pots are extra durable and strong. Moreover, they never scratch, crack, or chip. Also, there’s no problem using these metal pots outdoors. Galvanized steel planters are weather resistant and solid, unlike other pots.
- Appearance. Galvanized zinc, aluminum, and steel have industrial looks that most interior designers love. On the other hand, rusted steel and copper are rustic. But they fit in well with most farm-kitchen decors.
- Weight. In large sizes, metal planter pots can be heavy. Thus, they’re challenging to move around often.
- Overheating. Metal pots get extra hot when under direct sunlight. When they do so, they damage plant roots. For that reason, keep them under shades or indoors when hot.
Recommended metal pot
- SELF WATERING & NO MORE ROOT ROT - The smart unique sub-irrigation system is one of the most appealing aspects among all Dexceder planters. The easy-to-use separated integrated water reservoir or catcher- keeps your soil well aerated and automatic supplies plants with the right amount of ongoing moist air & nutrition for optimal growth. The insert indicator shows you the exact time to water again. The full water supply period can single-handedly last over 3 weeks based on different live plants
- METALLIC MATTE PROCESS of AUTOMOBILE GRADE - The complex process vitalizes the new life to the pot differs from the traditional pot injected directly. Metallic Matte finish with smooth texture gives a metal look to these decorative flower pots. Attention please, you will find a small detail that our process is whole-body process, unlike other same size pots to save cost, there are no metallic matte process of the bottom of them. The perfect decor can help decrease obsessive-compulsive disorder
- INNER POT DESIGN EASY MAINTENANCE - Unlike other low-cost pots with inner mat inside, the removable inner basin (8.3" D, 5.9" Deep) with hidden handles can convenient plant replacement and prevent dirt into outer pot. The large interior is suitable for more plants, such as cactus, bulb, herbs, succulents, ivy, strawberry, triflora, pothos, orchids, nepenthes pitcher, spider plant, asparagus fern, African violet etc., it's especially friendly to those plants with long, big, tall or dense root
- NEVER MISS WATERING AGAIN - The hydroponic device keeps water ready, then watering time is at your discretion on the gauge. The design of drainage plug and spillway hole is to avoid cycles of overwatering and underwatering, pull out the plug to drain the excess water on rainy days outdoors. The sufficient water supply system enables double the water-efficient than conventional pots. Don't be anxious about missing watering while you enjoy a long term holiday on a journey or travel outside
- LONG LASTING VIBRANT COLORS & VIRTUALLY UNBREAKABLE - Be benefit of top-quality durable frost and UV resistant PP plastic with high-class metallic matte process, the fresh details show permanently with metal texture, no rusting, no peeling, no denting, keep durable longer that won't fade in direct sunlight
7. Wood cactus flower pots
Different natural materials make up wood containers. The following are some materials for wood pots:
Other wood materials like bamboo make lightweight cactus pots. One makes lumber by cutting beams and planks from such materials. After cutting them, cutting and treating them for several months is necessary.
Doing so boosts waterproofing and the pot’s strength. So, if you’d like such a pot, pick the VINGLI wooden pots. They aren’t watertight but versatile, which works well for different plants.
These VINGLI pots also have a rustic natural composition for better aesthetics.
Further, wood barrel planters are fantastic indoor planters for potted plants. Then again, they’re well-built for Calla Lillies.
In short, these wooden planter pots are sturdy. Moreover, they’ve got suitable drainage holes for efficient moisture movement.
- Natural material. Wooden planters maintain plant health since their makeup is of natural materials. For example, pine, rosewood, cedar, etc. But to prevent root rot, give the pots extra care. The care involves applying polyurethane, lacquer, or varnish coats. The coats help waterproof the inside of the planter pot from weathering and moisture.
- Appearance. Wooden pots always look natural and humble, a fantastic wood feature. Moreover, these wood pots are extra ornamental when in use indoors.
- Lifespan. Wooden pots’ lifespans are short. And that’s unlike fiberglass pots, which can last forever.
- Cost. Pots from wood materials are somewhat expensive, unlike mass-produced plastic ones.
Recommended wood pot
- ✿PLANTER SET OF THREE :Beautiful Burnt Wood Finished flower pots with 3 different sizes for your unique design.
- ✿DRAINAGE HOLE PREDRILLED: No Assembling required at all! Planters come with predrilled drainage hole.
- ✿SIDE HANDLES INCLUDED: Thoughtful design with two metal handles on each planter for easy lifting and moving.
- ✿DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Made of sturdy wood enclosed by metal frame with screws, long-lasting structure regardless for indoor or outdoor.
- ✿DIMENSION INFORMATION: Small 11.5"(Dia) x 9.8"(H); Medium 15.2"(Dia) x 11.4"(H); Large 18"(Dia) x 14"(H)
8. Stone cactus planting pots
Stone pots are suitable for use as indoor planters. They come in several sizes and shapes, making them appealing.
Often, it’s challenging to tell if these pots are from natural stone or other materials. In most cases, natural stones are heavy and expensive. Elsewhere, Stone pots come in several appealing designs.
But as years age, these stone pots change color. Note we’ve got two stone pot types:
- A natural stone that you curve into a pot/planter.
- A fiberglass and limestone mixture.
Lift the pots and feel the weight difference between them. Otherwise, noting their difference will take a lot of work. Natural stone pots are extra heavy.
Naturally, pots from these stones are durable. But this natural stone pot can break when you drop it. At the same time, limestone and fiberglass pots are durable. A less drainage capacity is their only negative.
I recommend picking the ArtStone Novelty planter pot. I like this stone pot for its dark charcoal grey color. Further, the fantastic appeal makes this pot suitable for indoor/outdoor use.
Also, these pots look like travertine. Then again, its tiny wisps make it look heavy but expensive. Therefore, this planter gives Gardeners value for their money.
- Material. These pots’ materials are solid and durable.
- Resistance. Stone pots are cold and weather-resistant.
- Insulation. The pot’s a good insulator.
- Appealing. The pot has an attractive design.
- Cost. These stone pots can be pricey.
- Weight. These pots are somewhat heavy.
Recommended stone pot
- Perfect Planter to Accentuate your Interior or Exterior Décor
- Lightweight and Made with a Superior Blend of Plastics and Stone
- Water Minder Reservoir Hydrates Plants as Needed
- Clean, Modern, One-of-A-Kind Design
- Dimensions: 12" x 12" x 12"
9. Foam pots
Foam pots consist of plastic chemicals like polyethylene and polyurethane. Further, these foam pots come in different grades. The grades range between thin and thick.
Unlike other foam materials, polyurethane has extra insulation qualities. Moreover, you can leave polyurethane pots outdoors over winter or summer.
The two foam materials create pots with visually appealing looks like terracotta. Also, manufacturers can make them into little runs of textures, sizes, and shapes. Moreover, foam pots have an impressive weight-to-strength ratio.
But cheaper foam pots lack weight as well as strength.
The 7-inch self-watering pot with Foam stone & Coir is a perfect foam pot for cacti. This foam pot is better than a ceramic pot. I say so because they’re lightweight, and one can hang them.
Also, this self-watering reservoir planter has a smooth shape that suits most personal tastes. Apart from that, they’re easy to use. Your cactus or succulent plants will absorb enough water.
At the same time, watering this foam pot happens once a week, and it’s durable.
- Weight. In the market, foam is among the lightest materials. Further, a foaming pot is suitable for transporting your cactus when necessary.
- Price. Foam pots are somewhat cheap. Thus, one can use it as a more affordable nursery pot.
- Durability. Foam pots aren’t for long-term use. Moreover, the best foam products typically last less than two winters.
- Environment impact. Foam materials spread plastic pollution when they chip and shred. That’s even though their overall structures stay intact for some years.
Recommended foam pot
- - SELF WATERING. You don't have to water the plants every day, it can store enough water for a week or more, and it's easier to grow.
- - INCLUDING 4 QUARTS OF COCONUT COIR SOIL. Each coconut coil disk becomes a 1 quart of fluffy plant fiber after using 0.5 quart of water. There is very little nutrients in the fiber soil, so it is best to add some fertilizer After adding water to expand it, so that it can be used for a long time, just add some fertilizer at the right time.
- - BETTER THAN SOIL. The coconut coir soil is made of coconut shell. At the same time, it has good water retention, gas permeability and stable pH, so it is better than soil. Suitable for planting a variety of flowers, plants, vegetables, African violets and seedlings.
- - EASY TO OBSERVE. The water level indicator allows you to observe the water level at any time. Once the water level is below or close to the minimum water level, you can consider pouring water into the pot. There is a special water injection port for easy water injection.
- - STYLISH AND SIMPLE APPEARANCE. It can be used in a variety of environments, whether it is for home, apartment, office, desktop, outdoor or indoor, it will complement your home environment.
Tips to Choose the Best Pots for Cactus
When choosing the right pot, go for one that will drain your soil well. The pot should also be of a unique cactus mix. After you’ve chosen your pot, check it for diseases or pets. Lift out and lower the old pot into the new one.
To do that, loop a tea towel.
Place the cacti into your new pot. Remember, its depth should match that of the old pot. Once the new pot is in, use more grit or compost to plant your cacti.
Related Read: Can You Use Cactus Soil for Regular Plants?
Most, if not all, cactus lovers take into account a pot’s material before purchase. There are several pot material options one can consider. But, there are no good or lousy pot materials. It all depends on specific preferences.
Color may be a minor priority when picking cactus pots. A uniform pot color cuts across different decor schemes. Moreover, this color shade produces a fun personality and a beauty splash.
Cactus pot size
Large pots hack it for medium-sized cactus plants. So, ensure you’ve picked a pot that suits your cactus’s native habitat. Do that when choosing the right pot size.
The best pots for cacti should always mimic the environment.
While cacti are one of the best plants for shallow pots, super small pots may cause their roots to overgrow. On the other hand, large and deep ones may make your soil retain excess moisture.
Consider Using Terracotta Pots
Terracotta pots are great picks for cactus plants. That’s because they’re porous, allowing moisture to disperse.
Good terracotta pots with drainage holes are essential. I say so because your soil should drain moisture away properly. Otherwise, your cactus won’t grow. So, when picking cactus pots, ensure they’ve got drainage holes.
Mimic the Cacti’s Natural Habitat
Pots mimicking your cacti’s natural habitat are critical. Moreover, the best pots for cacti always mimic their native habitat. Terracotta pots come with ample drainage holes, helping the soil dry.
Further, unlike ceramic or stone pots, these pot types best mimic a cacti’s native habitat. One should check the pot for excess moisture. Otherwise, the pot may damage your cacti.
How To Choose The Right Pot With The Right Size
Does the size of the pot matter?
Yes, a cacti’s pot size matters. In general, the pot’s size should allow your cacti’s natural growth to happen. That’s critical when picking the best pots for cacti. Moreover, as we said earlier, the pots should mimic your cacti’s natural habitat.
Always, cactus plants don’t need bigger pots.
The Best Size
The best pot size should have a quarter-inch space between the following:
- The cactus’s main body.
- The end of your pot’s rim.
Here’s a detailed guide on measuring plant pot sizes. With this guide, you can be sure to choose the right pot size for your plants, which is crucial for their growth and overall well-being.
The pot’s depth depends on the succulent plant type you’re planting. Moreover, the pot’s depth should be proportionate to your cacti’s natural growth process. So, a deep pot suits cacti with deep roots and growing tall.
Several cactus species have horizontally growing shallow roots. Such cactus types will never grow well in deep pots. Thus, before buying these pots, consider your cacti’s species.
What type of pot is best for succulents?
Ceramic or terracotta pots are the best pots for succulents. The two pot materials are breathable.
The materials being breathable means they encourage proper air circulation and water drainage. But always remember that both ceramic and terracotta pots are heavy. That’s especially when adding soil and plants.
Are terracotta pots good for succulents?
Terracotta pots are an excellent option for cacti and succulents. Also, terracotta pots work well for plants that need drier soil. Then again, this pot type is suitable for colder climates. These pots’ walls draw moisture out of the soil, helping it dry faster. Moreover, this pot type is inexpensive.
What size of pot is best for cactus?
Most seasoned gardeners prefer using pots with a diameter 10% larger than the cacti’s widest point. For instance, pick a container with a 4.5 to 5-inch diameter. Do that if your cacti’s widest point is around four inches.
Should you use clay or plastic pot for Christmas cactus?
Pick clay pots for your Christmas cactus. That’s because Christmas cacti hack it well in clay pots. They do so because of their fast-draining nature. Moreover, clay pots have porous material, providing proper air circulation.
Elsewhere, checking soil water levels in clay pots is straightforward. That’s because they turn dark when wet.
3 Types of Pots to Avoid
When it comes to planting cacti and succulents, you must avoid certain types of planter pots. Here are some of the worst types of pots for cacti and succulents to steer clear of;
- Pots without drainage holes: Cacti and succulents need well-draining soil to prevent root rot. Pots without drainage holes can lead to waterlogged soil, which can be fatal for these plants.
- Glazed ceramic pots: Glazed ceramic pots are not ideal for cacti and succulents because they don’t breathe well. The glaze can also trap moisture, which can cause root rot.
- Deep and large pots: Cacti and succulents have shallow root systems, so planting them in deep pots can lead to overwatering and root rot. Choose shallow pots that are no more than 6 inches deep.
The Best Pot for Cactus Summary
Among the pot materials we’ve discussed, Fiberglass is the best. Its impact on our environment is meager. Moreover, Gardens or homes look pleasing when these fiberglass pots are used.
Unfortunately, pots of this material are pricier than plastic ones. But, in the long run, the initial cost is worth it.
Beyond a fiberglass pot’s material, there are more advantages. For example, a mixture of resin and fiberglass produces a solid and flexible composite. So, if you’re looking for the best pots for cactus, pick them.
Other Related Topics: